Getting older can mean changes in lifestyle, travel, housing and health. During these changes keeping food safe is just as important as ever.
Individuals vary but after age 70 people can be more vulnerable to food poisoning because:
- immune systems get weaker
- stomachs have less acid to protect against bugs
- the impact of symptoms can be more severe
- recovery takes longer.
Follow these food safety hints when:
- travelling in caravans and campers
- taking food into aged care facilities
- temperatures rise and families get together during summer.
Some older people have health conditions or illnesses that can result in a low or compromised immune system. Food poisoning can be more dangerous for people with low or compromised immune systems.
Some foods can have higher risks of causing food poisoning for everyone, and the risks can be even more serious for people with low or compromised immune systems.
Handle these foods with special care.
For all food remember the key food safety tips.