Seafood Industry Forum
The Seafood Industry Forum (SIF) provides the NSW Minister for Primary Industries and the NSW Food Authority with a consistent and concise forum for dealing with matters about the Seafood Safety Scheme including:
- its continuing operation
- any proposed amendments.
Section 105 of the Food Act 2003 requires the Food Authority to consult with industry sectors affected by a regulatory Food Safety Scheme.
The Seafood Safety Scheme, under Food Regulation 2010, began in June 2010.
Before then, consultation between the Food Authority and the seafood industry sector was conducted through the NSW Seafood Industry Conference which was established in 2004.
A review of the Food Authority’s consultative committee arrangements was conducted in 2011-12. The Minister sought to refresh the existing structures and membership to ensure they are contemporary and representative of the needs of industry and government.
As a result of the review the Minister decided to establish a new Seafood Industry Forum for consultation, as required under the Food Act 2003. The forum continues under the Food Regulation 2015.
The Food Authority invites organisations that cover different aspects of the food safety scheme to nominate a representative. Membership appointments are for two-year terms and the committee is chaired by the Food Authority.
The forum’s membership is designed to bring expertise and new ideas to enhance strategic focus and issue resolution to the seafood industry sector.
SIF provides feedback to the Food Authority and the Minister for Primary Industries on issues relating to seafood industries including:
- food safety policy and practices
- the Seafood Safety Scheme
- labelling, food handling and hygiene
- investigating and prosecuting businesses and individuals engaged in deceptive or misleading conduct.
The forum meets every six months, with agenda items called for one month before each meeting.
Key issues from committee meetings are reported in Foodwise and outcomes provided in this section of the website after each meeting.
Contact your industry representative for more information.
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 15 September 2021
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 12 May 2021
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 16 September 2020
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 20 May 2020
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 2 October 2019
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 15 May 2019
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 16 October 2018
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 1 May 2018
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 17 October 2017
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 2 May 2017
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 19 October 2016
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 27 April 2016
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 23 September 2015
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 29 April 2015
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 24 September 2014
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 30 April 2014
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 16 October 2013
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 29 May 2013
- NSW Seafood Industry Forum Outcomes 30 November 2012
Terms of Reference
The committee operates under agreed Terms of Reference.
The primary objective of the Forum is to contribute to the Food Authority’s goal of ensuring the production and sale of seafood which is safe and suitable for human consumption by advising on policy and practices introduced into seafood safety schemes and developed through a consultative process.
The Forum has the function of consulting with the Food Authority on food safety schemes under the Food Act 2003 (NSW) relating to the seafood industry.
The Forum and the Food Authority consult on all seafood industry matters covered by the provisions of Food Regulation 2015 including:
- consultation on emergency management preparedness for the sector
- consultation on emerging and contentious issues and risks for food safety
- seeking input for provision into the development and implementation of national primary production food safety standards
- consultation on other issues in which the seafood industry has an interest such as imported seafood standards, health claims and industry based education
- assistance in the design and conduct of industry specific product-based surveys
- regulatory effectiveness.
Where considered appropriate, the Forum may establish sub-committees to address specific issues between scheduled Forum meetings.
In addressing issues, the Forum will take into account, where appropriate, the policies and practices of interstate and overseas government food agencies and industry organisations.
Where appropriate, members will provide industry updates and current issues at each Forum meeting.
The Food Authority may continue to provide the Minister for Primary Industries with its own advice on issues that come before the Forum.
Membership & Charter
|Chair - NSW Department of Primary Industries||Dr Lisa Szabo||Director, Food Safety - CEO Food Authorityemail@example.com (Senior Branch Support Officer)|
|Sydney Fish Market||Mr Erik Poole||Supply & Business Development Manager||Sydney Fish Market Pty Ltdfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Association of Fishermen’s Co-operatives||Mr Ross Fidden||Chair||Commercial Fishermen’s Co-operative Ltdemail@example.com|
|Clarence River Fishermen's Co-operative||Ms Danielle Adams||CEO||Clarence River Fishermen's Cofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Seafood Importers Association (SIAA)||Mr Mark Boulter||Executive Office (SIAA); Director (Safe Sustainable Seafood)||Seafood Importers Association (SIAA)||email@example.com|
|NSW Aquaculture Association Inc||Mr Russell Sydenham||Committee Member||Australian Aquatic Biological Pty Ltdfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Professional Fishers' Association||Ms Tricia Beatty||CEO||Professional Fishers' Association Inc.||email@example.com|
|Seafood wholesale / processing sector||Mr Matthew Wilkinson||National Quality Manager||Tassal Group Ltdfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Master Fish Merchants Association of Australia||Mr Kerry Strangas||Chair||The Master Fish Merchants' Association of Australiaemail@example.com|
|NSW Department of Primary Industries||Ms Melissa Walker||Team Leader Aquatic Biosecurity Policy and Programsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|NSW Department of Primary Industries||Dr Sarah Britton||NSW Chief Veterinary Officer & Group Director Animal Biosecurityemail@example.com|
|NSW Department of Primary Industries||Mr Ian Sanders||Director, International Engagementfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|NSW Department of Primary Industries||Mr Peter Day||Director, Compliance & Integrity Systemsemail@example.com|
Enquiries regarding the SIF can be made by contacting the relevant industry representative or the NSW Food Authority helpline at:
- on 1300 552 406
- by fax 02 9647 0026