Skip to main content


The NSW Food Authority can issue export certificates to NSW food manufacturers to facilitate export trade. However, the first port of call is the Australian Department of Agriculture.

The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources provides advice and assistance to existing and potential exporters of agricultural and fisheries produce on import conditions of destination countries.

Exporting 'prescribed goods'

Depending on what you want to export, the requirements you must meet will vary.  

Under the Export Control Act 1982, there are ‘prescribed’ and ‘non-prescribed’ goods. Examples of prescribed goods are:

  • dairy
  • live animals
  • plants and plant products
  • meat and meat products
  • grain
  • animal food (frozen raw meat)
  • organic produce
  • fresh fruit and vegetables
  • dried fruit
  • pharmaceuticals (raw animal material)

Exporting 'non-prescribed goods'

Non-prescribed goods are all other goods not defined above. Provisions may apply depending on the requirements of the importing country.

The Department of Agriculture can assist businesses with exporting non prescribed goods. Fees are payable and certain information, including importing country requirements, must be provided by the exporter to the Department.

For further information contact the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.