Standard 3.2.2A Food Safety Management Tools
Food service, caterer and related retail businesses in NSW need to meet new food safety requirements in the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code (the Code).
The requirements apply to most businesses from 8 December 2023.
School canteens, children's services that supply food, supermarkets, greengrocers, delis, coffee vendors that sell food, correctional centres and boarding schools have until 8 December 2024 to comply.
Standard 3.2.2A aims to improve food safety by introducing 3 tools:
- Food Safety Supervisor (FSS)
- food handler training
- showing food is safe.
If you already have a current FSS, you will only need to ensure other staff who handle unpackaged, potentially hazardous food have appropriate skills and knowledge in food safety and hygiene. Higher-risk businesses must also be able to show they are managing key food safety risks.
For other businesses, all the requirements are new, such as for children’s services that supply food, school canteens, supermarkets, greengrocers, delis, coffee vendors that sell food, correctional centres and boarding schools.
The requirements do not apply to the handling or sale of food for fundraising solely for community or charitable causes, providing food free to the community, or to businesses licensed with the Food Authority.
For more information, view the page relevant to your business or service:
- Cafes, restaurants and retail outlets
- School canteens
- Children’s services
- Mobile food vendors
- Markets and temporary events
- Seafood retailers
- Home-based and mixed businesses.
Find out more
- Standard 3.2.2A – Guideline for businesses (PDF, 346, KB)
- Take our short quiz to find out which Food Safety Management Tools apply to your business.
- Do our free online Food Handler Basics training
- See our frequently asked questions
- Food Safety Supervisors
- Food Handler Basics training
- Showing food is safe
- Standard 3.2.2A Food Safety Management Tools poster
Further guidance on the new Standard 3.2.2A – Food Safety Management Tools is available on the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.